Monday, December 8, 2008

Enough With the Fucking Bells Already

It's not that I don't believe in giving to charity. If anything, I am more likely to donate time, money, or presents to a charity or deserving human being rather than to my ungrateful/selfish sister.

It's just that there is a Salvation Army bell ringer outside almost every store I frequent. I couldn't possibly put money in every single one of them. (Not that I'd really want to if we are being totally honest) But nothing really dampens my spirit like being glared at by a mother fucking Bellringer outside the grocery store. (Or Walmart. Or outside every mall entrance. Or inside the mall.)

They are glaring at me like I traipsing past them clutching my shopping bags screaming with delight over all the fantastic treats I just got myself. And how fucking happy I am that I don't have to share them with any stinky-needy families. And that they just watched me push a kid down in the parking lot and steal his puppy.

I just think that if I make eye contact with a Bellringer I should get a smile. An acknowledgement that yes, it is a hard time of year and if you can drop something in the bucket that would be great. But hey? If you can't? That's OK too. I should NOT get hateful glares and a louder, firmer shaking of the bell. Like I didn't fucking hear when I got out of my car. It takes away from what few happy feelings I have about the holiday season when I am served a side of guilt-trip. And that really makes me feel fucking festive.

If "festive" is another word for "rage".

No comments: